I’ve been looking for other things besides local produce since arriving in Texas. I’ve been surfing for local blogs on favorite topics such as progressive politics, popular culture and liberal religion. I’ve begun to find some.
Here are some of my early discoveries:
Rhetoric & Rhythm is my favorite so far. How can I not love a blog that has this as a subheader/tagline: “Politics, movies, jazz, baseball… These are a few of my favorite things….” A recent post picked up and commented on an item from Political Wire reviewing lists of Obama’s and McCain’s favorite songs.
1. Ready or Not Fugees
2. What’s Going On Marvin Gaye
3. I’m On Fire Bruce Springsteen
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West
7. You’d Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra
8. Think Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights U2
10. Yes We Can will.i.am
1. Dancing Queen ABBA
2. Blue Bayou Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me ABBA
4. If We Make It Through December Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong
8. I’ve Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platters
My newest religious blog discovery is Buddha Frog. Check out the post on Happy Bunny. The Everyday Mystic is another local blog I like, but I discovered it a while ago, now I just live near the source. Both of these blogs offer email subscription, which is nice.
I’ve joined Equality Texas and Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty. Equality Texas doesn’t have a blog but does offer the option to subscribe to RSS feeds for both news and action alerts on their home page. TCADP offers the Texas Abolition Blog.
I’m sure I’ll discover more, but I’ve only been here ten days.